College can be fun, exciting, and adventurous… or challenging, lonely, and overwhelming. The difference between an amazing college experience and a less-than-stellar experience has a lot to do with the college you choose. You’ll know your college is a good fit if you thrive both academically and socially. As you are narrowing down your list of colleges, ask yourself these questions to determine if a particular college is a good fit for you.
- At what size college would you be comfortable? Are you a self motivator that can work well with large class sizes and less interaction with counselors?
- Or, would you be more successful at a smaller college where classes are smaller and it is easier to get more individualized attention from both professors and counselors?
- How diverse is the student population? What types of cultural experiences are available?
- How far from home do you want to be?
- Is it important to be a car ride away from friends and family or do you like the idea of a big change?
- How much is college going to cost?
- Tuition at private colleges and out-of-state institutions is much higher than in-state tuitions. Is that a factor in your decision?
- Would you get a larger scholarship package by going to a less competitive school?
Programs and Majors
- What type of academic programs does the college offer?
- Do they offer the major in which you are interested?
- How good is their program and how well will it prepare you for graduate school or professional school, if you choose to go that route?
- Make sure that you look at your particular program of study and not just the overall college. Some colleges may not be ranked as high overall but may be very strong in certain areas.
- Are you interested in extracurricular activities?
- Do sports or clubs play a role in your decision?
- Do you like the city or country?
- Beach or mountains?
- Cold weather or hot weather?
- Although this might not be the most important factor, it is something to consider.
- What types of activities are available for alumni in the professions in which you are interested?
- What type of support does the college or university provide their alumni in terms of finding employment post graduation?
- What networking and job fair events does the college engage in on behalf of recent graduates?
Choosing your college is a big decision. If you’d like to talk it over with someone, let’s chat! Schedule a phone consultation to discuss your future plans.